Sunday, December 21, 2008

consume. consume. consume.

Christmas. Is. In. Four. Days.  

Working these past few days I saw consumerism at its finest.  I have not finished my Christmas shopping and nor do I want to.  I ventured to the mall today, and today I decided that I am not going back!  What a crowd.  I work at a great store that sells equipment for the kitchen but I see people buy products that are such a waste!!!  This isn't just financially a waste, but some things will never be used again after they are opened.  Example: a Hot chocolate maker?  This is Texas!  After the first two weeks of January, it is going to be time to be putting that product away.  Example: Christmas themed pancake molds?  Just because they are on sale ($17.99) doesn't mean you have to buy it.  

All of this puts me out of the Christmas spirit.  However, what I am looking forward too is spending time with my small family, especially Ago.  As his gift, I got him a jacket with the UT logo on it and I am anxious to see his reaction.  I also got him a bumper sticker with "I'm a Longhorn Grandpa" on it and i rrrrrreeeaalllllllyyyyy want to put it on his wheels.  While this consumerism gets to me, I can't avoid it (I tend to do that about a lot of things) because whether I like it or not, it is a part of the Christmas spirit.  


No comments: