Monday, May 25, 2009

1959

The month of May hasn't been that great for us or my grandfather. He's fallen down three times and on the third fall he ended up in the ER. This happened over the weekend and he's now in the hospital with a throat infection. Anyways, watching Ago today, I realized something: my grandfather doesn't live in 2009. He's still in 1959. Everything about him, the way he eats, the way he thinks, the way he dresses (definitely the way he dresses) screams 1959. The only things that are of this year are the treadmill and printer/copier/fax. Actually, I don't even think 2009 is accurate because he's lacking a cell phone.

So his mentality is still in 1959 but that's not necessarily a bad thing, its just Ago. He's always been like this. Stuck in the past, un-willing to change his ways. Just look at his wardrobe. The hat and the jacket look straight of a 1950s movie and the man has not bought new shoes in like 20 years!

The past couple of days have been interesting and (obviously) humor has been helping to cope. Watching Ago the way he is right now is difficult but every time he pulls one of his Agosims I can't help but laugh. Every time he confirms what just happened or barks orders, such as close the blinds, shut the door, or go to his house and bring him his Evian and the yogurt I can't help but think that's my grandfather.

No comments: