Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Memories of My Grandfather

Besides being Ago's only granddaughter I was also one of his chaeffeurs. Immediately after he moved to the Woods my mother and I tag teamed on taking him to the regular places: HEB, Krogerine, "that store", and the Vitamin Shoppe. While we frequented all these, the stores we went to on a weekly basis were HEB and Krogerine. Because it was like clockwork, the cashiers and produce department employees began to expect us. Kroger's knew that every Wednesday, Ago and either his daughter or granddaughter would come in, buy his produce and Evian, and pay with his favorite cashier, K and smile with his amigo, our bagger Lawrence. It got to a point where Kroger, a national chain grocery store, became like a local mom and pop place. Every time I left K would tell me "Say hi to your mom for me!"

We knew the people who worked there and they knew us.

When I went with Ago I always looked for our cashiers, Z and Miss Lisa. They both were so patient with us and I can't speak for them, but it always seemed to me that they were happy to see us and they genuinely like Ago. I'm having some trouble explaining why...but i have this to share.

I went to HEB last week, and I stuck to my hold habits: I looked for our cashiers. I went to register seven were i found Miss Lisa. Apparently my mother had informed them about Ago's death. Immediately she told me her condolences and then went on to tell me about her memories of my grandfather. I was touched: someone else telling me their memories of mygrandpa. I was so happy to hear he made a small impression on her. Here was a lady I knew because of a weekly routine, she was always patient and friendly towards us, and she was telling me about the time she postponed her break because my grandpa was waiting in her line. She talked about the way he kept track of his change, how he dressed, and the way he'd usually pay for my groceries. She mentioned all the things about Ago that defined Ago. She told me she didn't know her grandparents and what a blessing it is/was for me to have such a close relationship with mine. She talked about Ago in a way that made me grateful that I really knew my grandfather.


I think this is one of the last pictures taken of Ago. He came over to our house just to come over. Maybe there was a specific purpose, I really don't remember. But, I love this picture. Everything about it: Ago in the passenger seat (I was taking him home), his hat, his jacket, el bastón, is Ago. And the smirk on his face has evolved from icy stares at the camera to a state of happiness that does not need a smile. Just a subtle grin.

No comments: